Monday, July 6, 2009

A Rainy Day in London!

Well yesterday was not AS eventful as last Sunday - that's for sure! However, it wasn't without its mishaps. But good news first. First of all, I'm in Young Women! I'm so excited! I'll be teaching in the next few Sundays. That'll be fun. I need to come up with ways of keeping the girls' attention. I now feel for my leaders who tried and failed at keeping my attention throughout the years...

Anyway, the reason I didn't post yesterday is because England and I were having a bit of a rough time. My allergies had been so bad on Saturday that I woke up on Sunday with a full-on allergy cold. I felt awful. When I got back from church I ended up taking a 3 hour nap. It was pretty rough. After dinner, Rebecca convinced me to take a walk in Kensington Gardens. After the walk I felt a lot better. But I was still a little down in the dumps. Thankfully I talked to one of my really good friends for nearly an hour. It was a bit of an awkward conversation, but I felt infinitely better afterward.

Tricia, aka Black Lung, (named so because she was seriously hacking up a lung last night) was also not feeling so great last night. She gave me some of her night-time cold medicine and I finally slept through the night. I'm still a little sick, but definitely on the mend! I had a ton more energy today and am once again in love with London!
Today Katie, Rebecca, and I went to Trafalgar Square to go to the National Gallery. It was AMAZING. I saw paintings by DaVinci, Monet, Renoir, Picasso, and many more amazing artists! It was unreal. It's so much better to see the paintings in real life! I loved it! Rebecca left early and Katie and I wandered around for awhile inside the gallery before deciding to head back to the centre.

Of course once we walked outside the gallery we spent quite some time taking pictures. We climbed up on Nelson's Monument to get a better view of everything. We nominated the boys who clapped for us once we successfully climbed up to take the picture and the result is the picture below. Notice you can see Big Ben, a double-decker bus, and the backside of the one of the lions in the background. We also climbed up on one of the lions and some very nice asians took our picture. (above) It started raining as that picture was taken and I FINALLY got to take a picture with my umbrella! The name of my blog is now legitimate!
Oh, I should mention that as we walked out of the National Gallery we found a bagpiper piping in the square. As you know, I just ADORE bagpipers as well as all things Scottish... (bahaha). The irony was just too great so obviously I had my picture taken. :)
All in all I had a pretty great day today. I'm excited that it's cooler outside now and that it's raining! THIS is the London I packed for. Tomorrow won't have much to report on as we'll be inside all day in classes. Classes tomorrow are extended so that we can have all of Thursday off. This weekend is our free weekend and many people are leaving the UK Thursday morning for their weekend trips. However, I'll definitely have lots to write on Wednesday. We're going to Cambridge!

1 comment:

  1. Well, now that you and Bill have been pictured in front of the lion, I guess that means we all need our picture taken there.(someday)I love your umbrella and I am wild about bagpipes, too!
    As for teaching the YW, you will be great! Just remember to teach by the spirit. Visual aids help as well.
    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete