Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cambridge - Smart and Sexy

What a day! Cambridge is a magical place! Haha. By the end of the trip, Becca and I were thinking that we attend the wrong school. Our first adventure in Cambridge was touring the Kings College Chapel. It was commissioned by many Kings, the coolest for me was Henry VIII. In fact, there were carvings of H & A - Henry and Anne Boleyn - throughout the chapel. It was really cool! I took pictures, but I wasn't allowed to use a flash so they turned out a little blurry. It was really lucky that we made it to the chapel when we did because they closed it down right after we left!

After the church, Rebecca and Tricia took an epic trip to find the loo while I went over to Kings College to meet up with my friend David who is studying at Cambridge for a semester. It was really nice to see someone familiar here in the UK. David was nice enough to show me around Kings College. The dining hall was very Hogwarts-esque. Very cool. Oh, and the library! I could've spent DAYS in that library. I mean, it was huge or anything, just wonderful. In fact, everything about that place made me feel like I was in an Austen novel. I never wanted to leave. After touring the area I went and met up with Tricia and Becca again.

Tricia, Becca, and I went to the Fitzwilliam museum for awhile. It was a smaller museum which was perfect. Unlike the British Museum, it doesn't take 6 or more days to see everything. We were able to appreciate everything in the museum in about 2 hours. (Then again, we pretty much breezed through the Darwin exhibit. It was a little dull for our taste.)

Upon leaving the museum we decided to do a little shopping. While shopping we did a lot of people watching. Let me tell you, there were MANY very attractive men in Cambridge. The fact that they were students made them even more attractive. It was just a town full of sexy people! Haha. Ok, back to shopping. Becca and I found the cutest skirts for only 6 GBP. That was really exciting. We also stopped to get a coke at some point because our energy was definitely fading. There were so many stores with "SALE" signs in them! It was awesome. However, we didn't really buy much. Oh, and in Cambridge, many stores offer 10% discounts to students! How cool is that!?
Anyway, at 4:30 we met up with David after his classes. (Picture above) He showed us around town until we had to leave at 6:30. He showed us around Pembroke College as well as Kings College (again for me, but a first for Becca and Tricia) Then he took us to the oldest bookstore in England. (I just about died! I love books so much!) He also took us past some old Norman Churches. My favorite was this really old church that was completely round. The name of the street it is on is called "Round Church Street", very original... It was really nice of David to show us around the town. Since "fellows" or people who attend Cambridge are the only people with access to their school's grounds, we wouldn't have seen half the things we did without his help. It was great because he knew all the history too. We had our own personal tour guide!

Also, it was a plus that our tour guide was a friend of mine. We were able to catch up and argue constantly - just like old times. :) It was also highly entertaining to watch as we passed the other girls in our group their mouths would drop open. (They all thought David was gorgeous) Watching their faces pretty much made my day. Another fun part of the day is when a really really cute guy walked by and I did a double take. David then informed me that the guy I had just checked out was 100% gay and had hit on him the other week. What a waste of attractiveness. I was heartbroken. It was hilarious and sad at the same time.

Anyway, Becca, Tricia, and I had a blast in Cambridge and learned a lot. David is coming to London in a few weeks and I hope I get the chance to repay the favor and show him around "my town". Oh my gosh, London is my town! How cool is that!?
On the bus ride home we all attempted to do some homework. We all failed miserably. A great example would be the picture above. That is Diana. She fell asleep with her history book open on her lap. Now that is dedication.

Today was a fantastic day as well. First of all, everyone made fun of me because I slept in until 11. It felt wonderful. Then Becca, Tricia, Danny, Dylan, and I went to the Hard Rock Cafe. Danny and I share a love of Michael Jackson and he, Dylan, Tricia, and I are going to the "Thriller Live" show next week. Also, we're all going to a rugby game on Saturday. We had a blast at the Hard Rock. Expecially me. But before my really fun experience, I'll tell you about Tricia first. We told the waitress that it was Tricia's birthday (She's 19 now!!!!) and made Tricia stand up on her chair and the entire restaurant sang Happy Birthday to her! It was hilarious.

Ok, so my experience. While eating I looked up to find this really, really cute guy looking over at me. I looked away and smiled. Then I looked over and he smiled. We continued this trend for quite some time. Then when he got up to leave he made sure he was the last of his group to leave. Then he turned around and winked at me! Just for the fun of it I winked back! He then shot me this killer smile and then left. Thats right - I've still got it! Haha!

Tomorrow we're going to Brighton - the place to get husbands! I'm pretty excited, but not so excited to get on a train at 6 in the morning. Oh well. It'll be worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like Cambridge was only one of the many highlights of the trip. Remember, its ok to wink and smile, but nothing else!
    Have fun in Brighton, but not too much fun. No husbands allowed.
    Love you,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Brighton eh? Good luck finding a husband in the gay capital of Europe (not just England) or so Trent says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the commentary Trent

    ReplyDelete