Just one relatively uneventful Sunday would be a nice break. However, then my trip to London couldn't really be classified as an adventure.
Normally, getting from the London Centre to Michtam Ward requires us to walk to the tube, take the tube to the Victoria Station, take a train from London Victoria to Mitcham Junction, take a Tram from Mitcham Junction to Mitcham, and walk about a block to the church building. Walk, tube, train, tram, walk, done. This week, however, that just wasn't complicated enough.
This morning we were running late - as usual. When we are running late we usually take the central line and switch over to the Victoria line because that's much faster than taking the circle line straight to the train station. Much to our dismay, the Victoria line was closed for repairs today. We had to take the circle line which made us miss our train. Oh, and I should mention that Megan and Jordan got separated from us on the tube. They didn't notice that the Victoria line was closed and had gotten on the central line.
Once we made it to the train station we noticed that the train to Dorking (which is the train we regularly take) wasn't calling (stopping) at Mitcham Junction. We frantically searched the schedule and realized that we had to take a different train to Mitcham Junction. What's more is that we had to take the train to a different station and then get on a bus to take us to Mitcham Junction because that station was closed for repairs as well. Just our luck.
We made it to the train station and found the bus that would take us to Mitcham Junction. It was a double-decker bus! My first double-decker bus ever! We immediately went to the top and front of the bus and waited for the bus to leave. To our surprise, Jordan walked around the corner and got on the bus with us. She and Megan had gotten separated and Jordan had figured out the different train and bus thing. We had no idea what had happened to Megan.
The bus ride was quite crazy. This large bus was maneuvering all over these tiny roads. We almost took out a cyclist and did fly over a median. Quite fun. Then, at our stop, Katie and Tricia stood up early and when the bus screeched to a halt Tricia nearly toppled down the stairs and Katie flew into the windshield.
Mercifully there were no problems with the tram. While walking to the church building from the tram stop the man in front of us dropped his tram ticket. I picked it up and gave it back to him. He looked at me like I was an idiot and informed me that he had dropped it on purpose! I handed it back to him and saw him drop it again once we had parted ways. Lovely.
We made it to church 15 minutes late. Megan never made it to church. She went back to the Centre and went to church with another group.
The Bishop spoke in church today. It was on the importance of Sacrament meeting and how vital it is to be on time...
Re-cap: Walk, tube, train, bus, tram, walk, done.
Waiting for a flight after ankle surgery
7 years ago
I always find it great when someone tells you that you need to do something that you have been trying to do, but at no fault of your own, it doesn't happen that way. Way to go Bishop. "Yes I realize I need to be on tim. Can you please tell that to the train system that keeps changing on me!!!!!!" I have run into that in Switzerland (a little less so), but none the less I have run into that problem as well.
ReplyDeleteHopefully by the time you leave you can arrive on time.
Yes, sometimes we are late even when we try hard. I am glad that no one was lost for good!haha As for the man who thought it socially correct to throw his tram ticket on the ground...what a jerk! You are a good and thoughtful person to have picked the ticket up and returned it to its rightful owner. Like I said...he was a jerk! It was good to talk to you this morning. I thought of you when at the concert Elton John started singing "Tiny dancer". I got a little misty when he sang... "ballerina, you must have seen her dancing in the sand." I thought of you on the beach at Brighton. Too bad it stoney!haha
ReplyDeleteMissing you!
Love, MOM
Katie, I love reading about your adventures, you make me appreciate my short little walk across the street to our Church. Your such a good person and I agree with your Mom, that guy was a jerk! Hope your safe, Love you
ReplyDeleteAunt Jana