Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Classic London Centre Sunday

Ok, let me catch up on my week really quickly before I tell you about my fun Sunday. Friday we went to Greenwich. The picture above was taken in the train station. I would just like to point out that day was the first day in many weeks I did not have at least one coke. It has been 3 days now so I'm officially not an addict. Which means I can have one tomorrow. :)


Caitlin, Melissa, Sarah, Becca, Koryl, Diana, and I went to Greenwich together. They're all such fun girls. We were all sick of museums and we did all three museums in Greenwich in the style in which we are all accustomed. Meaning we were done with all three in about an hour and a half.

The picture above was taken at the Royal Observatory. We're standing on the Prime Meridian. So, we were at the centre of space and time. How cool is that!?

When we were done with the museums required for classes, we did what WE wanted to do. We went to Greenwich market. I very nearly bought one of those funny feathery hat things, but didn't want to pay 20 GBP for it. I did, however, eat very good Brazillian food there. Bill would be so proud!

Saturday was an insane day. I got up at 5am and went to stand in line with Diana and Koryl for Hamlet tickets. After waiting in line for nearly 4 hours we got pretty decent tickets to see the evening performance. Once we got our tickets I went straight back to the centre, got ready for the day, and left to pick my friend, David (see Cambridge post), at the train station.

David showed me around Cambridge, and I showed him London. We went to the National Portrait Gallery, Kensington Gardens, and the V&A Museum. It was a fun day. The best part, however, was the play that night. I was in the same room as JUDE LAW! It was marvellous. He was AMAZING as Hamlet. Seriously. It was so great. At the end I was struggling to stay awake because I had been up for nearly 20 hours and haven't slept that much this week. But the sheer awesomeness of seeing Jude Law in real life kept me awake. Saturday was an exciting and exhausting day.

Today was a classic London Centre Sunday. First of all, Anna had been sick since Saturday. Anna is the one who usually gets our tickets for us ahead of time and then we pay her. Since she was sick she hadn't gotten them this week and wasn't going to church anyway. That meant that we had to get to the train station early to get our tickets before our train left. Also, Anna teaches primary. So she asked Tricia to do her lesson for her. Tricia said yes and prepared a lesson.

This morning Tricia woke up with some sort of bug and spent much of the morning throwing up. Clearly she was unable to go to church and Ilarene stayed behind to watch her. Thats 3 of the 7 unable to go to church. I wish that were the end of my story.

It was so crazy this morning that I was much later than usual getting to the tube station. Thankfully Megan was there with me. We missed our usual train and got on a different one that takes us to the same tram line that we take from our usual train station. We made it to church about 15 minutes late. However, we met up with the girls that left before us because surprise! The train station closest to our ward building is under construction and the other girls had to take the train to a bus to the tram.

During church a member of the stake presidency got up and read a letter from the stake presidency. Because of the large amount of members getting swine flu we are not supposed to shake hands with anyone in church until futher notice. Pretty much we're not allowed to touch anyone at church. Seriously though, swine flu is rampaging through some of the wards. Thankfully there's only been one or two cases in my ward. In others, there have been cases where nearly half the ward is gone because of suspected cases.

Anyway, next sunday is our last sunday. They asked me to speak in church. I'm giving a 5 minute talk on "Service in the Home". If anyone has any scriptures or great conference talks pertaining to this subject I'd really appreciate it if you e-mailed them to me. Literally 5 minutes later the YW President asked me to teach next week. I love teaching YW but it's yet another thing on my to-do list this week. Goodness knows how I'm going to get it all done!

Oh, and it took us nearly 2 1/2 hours to get back to the centre after church. Walk, wait 10 min, tram, wait 25 min, bus, wait 15 min, train, wait 15 min, tube, walk. Yeah, London and I are having a rough day today. I'm sure that next week I'll find this whole experience hilarious. But right now, I just need some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie,
    Please note that Swine Flu is an airborne virus which means that you get it through inhaling someone elses germy exhale. Advice: wear a surgical mask! Thanks for the update. I was missing it! Take care.
    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. aye aye aye. have a coke. you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete