Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Feelin' HOT HOT HOT!

Yesterday was one of the hottest days in London so far. Everyone packed for a typical English summer - jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, a few skirts, and MAYBE a few pairs of shorts. OH NO, the UK has decided to be unbearably hot. It has been in the 80's for the past four days or so. We haven't had a single cold and wet day yet! This would be fantastic if people in London had air conditioning. However, it hardly ever gets this hot so most buildings don't have AC. Lets just say that riding the tube in the heat has got to be one of the most suffocating experiences of my life.

After classes yesterday, Tricia, Rebecca, and I took the tube to Oxford street to get some books we needed for English. To our complete surprise we got there and back in less than an hour and didn't get lost! After meeting up with Kylee and Jordan, (two other girls in the program) we took the tube yet again and went to this travel agency that plans discounted trips for students. We went to get quotes for our free weekend trips. Sadly, we have decided that our trip to Northern Ireland is not possible. I mean, I could spend more than 300 pounds to go to Belfast but I don't think it'd be worth it. Instead, Tricia, Becca, Koryl, Diana, possibly Ilarene, and I are going to use that weekend to go to Brighton. (This time for real!) And then I'll have even more money to spend shopping and going to plays! So far I've decided I'm going to see Phantom of the Opera, Peter Pan, and possibly the Royal Ballet.

Speaking of plays, last night the whole group went to see "As You Like it" at the Globe Theatre. I really enjoyed it. One of the guys in the play was in the BBC's Sense and Sensibility, and the guy who played Orlando is on a really popular British TV series. (Someone told me what the show was called but I forgot.) The play lasted four about two and a half hours. Thankfully I was smart enough to rent a seat cushion for a pound. Oh my goodness, probably the best investment of the week. Even with the cushion my tush was hurting after sitting for so long! haha. Oh and the picture above is Koryl, Diana, and I sitting on the ledge near the stage before the play began. (Koryl is the one with the dark hair and Diana is the gorgeous girl making the really attractive face)

Walking back to the tube after the play ended was so much fun. To get to the tube from the Globe we walked across the Milennium Bridge over the Thames and around St. Pauls. It was dusk and it was BEAUTIFUL! Tricia, Rebecca, and I felt like breaking out into song, but resisted because we didn't want to stick out more than we already do.

Today we have classes all day and tons of homework to do. I really doubt we'll get out of the house much today. However, I don't mind much because today is supposed to be hotter than yesterday and our classroom is the only room in the centre with air conditioning. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter, but we'll be on an air conditioned bus to BATH and STONEHENGE! I can't wait! We're going to watch Pride and Prejudice on our way to Bath. It's going to be a blast. At least I have that to look forward to while I read about a million pages of Shakespeare and write my own sonnet today...

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe everything that you get to do in london. it's unreal. sounds like such an incredible experience! soooooo jealous.

    ReplyDelete