Wednesday, June 24, 2009

British Museum and Porta-pottys

Yesterday after dinner the girls in my dorm were so exhausted that we had to make quite an effort to keep one another up. We decided to take a walk in Hyde Park to stay awake. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens = GORGEOUS! We wandered around for hours, saw Kensington Palace, swans, and some gardens. My favorite part was discovering the Prince Albert Memorial. It was this huge golden spire with a huge gold statue of Prince Albert.
Once we got back we collapsed in bed. I slept really well, but woke up wide awake at 5:30am. I stayed in bed for as long as possible and finally got up and showered a little after 6.
Today after orientation we went to the British Museum. I could spend DAYS in there seeing absolutely everything. It's amazing. I saw the Rosetta stone and a bunch of really cool mummies. We also saw some really cool marble heads in the Greek room! Pretty cool, right!?
From left to right Robyn, Rebecca, Allison, and yours truly! Plus my new buddy Trisha was taking the pic. She's a little camera happy. But all of us are - because we're in LONDON! Anyway, by the time we were done in the museum we were absolutely exhausted. We took the tube back to the centre and collapsed on our beds and completed our assignments for the day. After dinner, Rebecca, Robyn, and I went to Boots (the local convenience store) to get a straightener, laundry detergent, and a curling iron. On our way to Boots this guy walked up to me and asked for a hug... After our little excursion to Boots, we had a meeting/devotional where we got our ward assignments. I am going to be attending Mitcham Ward with six other girls from the group. The ward starts at 10 am but we have to leave around 8:30. Our trek to church starts with a ride on the tube, walking from the tube to the train station, take a train for an hour, and from there we have to walk a few blocks to the church building! It's going to be quite an adventure.
After the devotional most of the girls in my dorm played "never have I ever". It was really fun to learn about some of the crazy things some of these girls have done. For example, Trisha once fell into a porta-potty on trek! (I don't remember how that one came up...) These girls are a ton of fun and I can't wait to get to know all of the girls (and the five guys) in the group! So far I'm having a blast and can't wait to see more of this amazing country. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tonight I'll sleep through the night and be over my jet lag.

3 comments:

  1. Sweetie,
    Don't let anyone hug you because they are etiher a perv' or trying to steel your money.
    Remember the saying "just say no" can apply to many things. I am glad to hear that you are having a great time. You can tell that you are Americans...you are all too pretty and have good teeth to be British! Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS-I just realized I spelled steal wrong!haha
    It's early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlin! I'm glad that I can comment now! I'm so jealous that you are in London. Provo is like death. DEATH! But I'm glad you are enjoying your summer! I can't wait to read about more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete