Saturday, January 2, 2010

Holiday Highlights

Here are a few of my Christmas Break highlights:

Meg, Dad, and I finally flew home after having our flights delayed several times due to a snow storm back home. There was 28" of snow! Our first morning home Megan opened the door to the deck and mom, meg, and I proceeded to have a snowball fight in the kitchen.

My family went to Chez Francois for dinner on Christmas Eve. Chez Francois is a super ritzy French restaurant in Great Falls. We ate a wonderful 7 course dinner, and all felt like we'd be perfectly fine not eating for a few days.

Contrary to our vow not to eat for days after Christmas Eve, I'm pretty sure everyone in my family ate their body weight in chocolate.

Megan, Mom, and I decided we needed to perform acts of service to get in the Christmas spirit. We brought cookies, chocolates, and treats to the nurses in the nearby hospital where Alisa works. (But really, mom just wanted all that junk food out of our house. She loves to make cookies, as long as she doesn't eat them)

My sisters and I discovered that we are NOT very creative. We made sugar cookies and decorated them. Those were some of the scariest looking cookies ever. My gingerbread man looked like a scary albino, and Meg's gingerbread woman looked like she was wearing a diaper.

Most families, while delivering gifts to friends at Christmastime listen to Christmas songs. My family listens to "The Essential Michael Jackson" collection. (We DID listen to Christmas music while making cookies and such - just not while delivering gifts)



Mom, Meg, Alisa, and I routinely make fun of Dad for making up his own words to songs. We thought this was only Dad's funny quirk. One day Meg walked in to the kitchen singing the popular Latin song "Bailamos". Megan's version: By the boat, let the river take you over by the boat! Real words: Bailamos, let the rhythm take you over, bailamos!

Cheyenne, our 14 year old dog, is mostly deaf, has a heart condition, a collapsing trachea, is going blind, and has lost most of the hair on her behind. My mom LOVES this dog - she is her baby. However, she has been getting my mom up 4-5 times a night, and because she's mostly deaf, she whines REALLY loudly. One day, we were eating, and Chey was whining really loudly because she wanted some of our food. My mom turned to Chey and said: "You know, not ALL dogs go to heaven..."

Alisa, my oldest sister, is 6 months pregnant. I must say, she is a very very cute pregnant lady. However, she is also the most grumpy pregnant lady I've ever met. We've nicknamed her Pregzilla.

Every Christmas my mom, sisters, and I watch While You Were Sleeping, Little Women, and the entire Anne of Green Gables collection. This year we made it through Anne of Green Gables, and then had a LOTR marathon.

My mom had this wonderful idea to open a sandwich shop next to a bookstore after she and my dad retire. She wanted to name all the sandwiches something clever relating to authors or their books. (She came up with this idea while making sandwiches for lunch) Megan asked if she could have a Sylvia Plath sandwich - right out of the oven!

My mom is a Sunday school teacher for the 3-4 yr olds (sunbeams) and is making crowns for them to decorate. She came to my room and started measuring my head... apparently she's making the crowns to fit my head...

I'm really not ready to go back to school. Plus, I hate packing. However, the other day my mom threatened that I couldn't leave until my room was clean. I asked her if that was a promise. :)




1 comment:

  1. We are excited that you have a new camera so we can see pictorials! You forgot to mention that Cheyenne aka. Jorvik (J sounds like a Y) stinks like a Viking! We miss you already and hope that you have a great semester!
    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete