Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Kiwi-speak 101

During my time in New Zealand, I've been keeping track of all the words/phrases people use here that I found amusing. So listed below are the Kiwi terms with my American English translation. Enjoy :)








.NZ - Pronounced en-zed. The letter "zee" does not exist in Kiwi's vocabulary. When reciting a website it's always "dot co dot en-zed."


Keen - Probably my favorite NZ word
Example: If you're keen, I'd like to take you to dinner tonight. OR Should we get lunch now? I'm keen!


Translation: Are you down to do this? OR I'm down.







Jeepers - an exclamation that may or may not be used only by my supervisor Tim


Example: Jeepers! That bus almost hit us!


Translation: There is none. I'm pretty sure the last time that word was used in the States was during the making of the Scooby Doo cartoon.



Heaps - used to describe amounts of things


Example: I have heaps of work to get done.


Translation: I have tons to do today!







Cheers - used for almost EVERYTHING


Example: Can you get this done for me? Cheers. (Leaving) Cheers! (Making a joke) Cheers!


Translation: Thank you, goodbye, etc.



As at - seen in Financial statements


Example: Loans as at 30/06/11


Translation: Loans as of 6/30/11





Lollies - Did the lollypop guild song just pop into anyone elses' head?


Example: Pinapple lumps?! Look everyone, Kaitlin just brought us some lollies!


Translation: No, Pinapple lumps are not a kind of lollypop. Lollies = any kind of candy





Pash - Not to be confused with posh


Example: I'm not going to pash just anyone!


Translation: Make-out, snog, mack on





Twink - No, this is not referring to the Rainbow Brite Character


Example: Can you pass me the twink? Cheers!


Translation: Twink = white-out





Flash - No, not that kind of flashing...


Example: Wow, your flat is so flash.


Translation: Hip, cool, fancy





Sweet as - Sweet as what? No. It's just sweet as. (can be used with anything - cool as, sweet as, flash as...)


Example: That outfit is sweet as!


Translation: Take the "as" off the phrase and that's what it means





Ta - I still can't use this one without feeling awkward


Example: Can you pass me that lemonade? Ta!


Translation: Thanks!






Well, I hope you were keen to read this and thought it was sweet as. I have heaps to get done so I have to end this blog post. I'll probably post about all the other flash things I did in NZ after I get back to the states.

Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment